Sam Seder, guest host on September 15 of MSNBC’s Up w/Chris Hayes, provided an informative survey of recent news from the Middle East and moderated a good discussion on the current uprisings taking place across the Muslim world. An interesting point made by one panelist: Not everything happening in the Middle East is a reaction to the United States. There are specific political struggles and conditions unique to each nation. Another guest reminded viewers that the Muslim people are experiencing tremendous upheaval and transition, while still traumatized by decades of dictatorship. Another insight: The anti-Muslim film was a pretext to violence in Libya rather than its sole cause.
Occasional Planet’s orbitLooking at current events, people, politics and government through a progressive lens
- Crooks and Liars
Tell the Bankers that the...: Carmen is a 23 year-old fighting to keep her famil...
- Dangerous Intersection
The stunning numbers of Y...: These numbers stagger the mind: Users of the worl...
- Progressive Blog Digest
: ON MARS In yet another example of the ongoing dil...
- Ramona's Voices
Six Things Media Personal...: On Monday, May 20, a devastating monster of a torn...
- Show Me Progress
Confront Missouri's...: Via a post on DailyKos, I learned that Organizing...
- Crooks and Liars
Who am I?
In case you missed it
- Larry Lessig: A handful of people own our country
- Oklahoma tornado survivor doesn’t “thank God.” She’s an atheist–and my hero
- Call me a bleeding-heart liberal
- So-called scandals are too nuanced to be investigated by Republicans
- Heritage Foundation to Congress: “Don’t legislate. Scandal-gate.”
- How Republicans “starve the beast” by blocking agency appointments
- Rita Pierson: “Every kid needs a champion”
- Hog Hell: How a citizen lobby influenced policy in North Carolina
- Obama rewards billionaire Penny Pritzker for making him president
- Republicans have trouble understanding luck
- Guess the progressive: A video quiz
- ALEC’s “Most-Wanted” list
Like us on Facebook!